We eat oatmeal for breakfast most mornings. We put big, fat blueberries in the oatmeal, and it makes our oatmeal purple. One time, for lunch, we had salmon sandwiches. We are eating 1/2 cup of fruit every day, if we have fruit, and also 1/4 cup of pecans. Today we are making some Knock-Off Kashi Dark Chocolate Coconut Bars. Here is the recipe:
Knock-Off Kashi Dark Chocolate Coconut Bars
2 cups oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup honey
pinch pink Himalayan salt
340 grams (3/4 lb) chopped dates
6 tbsp water
6 tbsp cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
2. Toast oats, pecans and coconut for 5-10 minutes until just starting to turn brown.
3. Combine oats mixture with flax seeds, honey, and salt.
4. Spread mixture evenly over parchment paper. Pat down and bake for 10-15 minutes.
5. Combine the dates and water. Microwave for about two minutes to soften dates. Add cocoa and mix very well.
6. When oats are cool, spread date mixture over the top. You may need to wet the spreading tool (spoon, knife) so the date topping doesn't stick. Over and over. Just keep a bowl of water handy and keep wetting your spoon.
Makes 16 bars.
You can add chocolate chips to the granola bars if you want. We didn't this time. Instead we put 1/4 cup of natural peanut butter in the mixture.
So far, I like eating this way because Mom buys more fruit for us. And did you know that blueberries are the healthiest fruit around? That's why we have big, fat juicy blueberries in our oatmeal.
I hope you like our recipe. We think it's very tasty.