Thursday, March 13, 2014

Figure it out!

Can you take the plastic wrapper off? Can you untie this? Can you zip this up?

My newest favourite phrase to use around here these days is, "If you were stuck on a deserted island and I wasn't around to help, how would you do it?" Usually, miraculously, the kids figure out how to get it done.

It's not that I don't want to help my kids. I think it's more a matter of me helping them too much lately. They're starting to rely on me to do things without being innovative enough to figure it out for themselves.

Really?  While I'm driving?  You want me to take off the wrapper around the juice boxes?  Maybe you could figure that out for yourself.

I've only been using it for a few days, maybe a week, but when I start saying it now, they smirk at me because they know what's coming.

Am I the only one whose kids do this or has anyone else gone through this?  How do you force your kids to be innovative and figure things out for themselves?

1 comment:

  1. What always gets me is that my children wait until I'm elbow-deep in bread dough and then ask for something. Can they not see that it may be a few minutes before I'm going to be able to do whatever? Or when I'm on an important phone call and they start trying to talk to me. I'll be glad when a little logic kicks into their thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete