Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Status Quo Sucks

I have so many things that I want to share with you, my reader, a reader who may actually care about me and my family.  I'm staring at a blank page today and I'm trying to figure out what I should share...  What details to give, what topics to discuss.

I've decided I can't.  I don't think I'm ready to share yet.  At least not most of it.

But I'd love to encourage you to look at things differently.  Don't be content to always do things the same way just because that's how we've always done things.  As George Carlin said, "The status quo sucks."

Let me jump around a bit.

We sang these words this morning and I never paid as much attention to them as I did today.  There is so much depth to them.  I got stuck dreaming about the first verse for a while and then got lost in the last verse.

Come Thou fount of ev'ry blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Streams of mercy never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
Praise the mount I'm fixed upon it
Mount of Thy redeeming love


O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let Thy grace Lord like a fetter
Bind my wand'ring heart to Thee
Prone to wander Lord I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart Lord take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above


I really don't want to care what men think of me.  I really want only to care what God thinks of me.

There is nothing new under the sun.  We can repackage ideas, but there really is nothing new. So I want to find and chase what God wants for me.  I want to challenge the status quo.  I want to fill this earthen vessel with whatever was meant to fill it.

I'll leave you with this, from Robert Browning:
Earth changes, but thy soul and God stand sure:
What entered into thee,
That was, is, and shall be:
Time's wheel runs back or stops: Potter and clay endure.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite hymn. :) "Teach my some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above." Wow, what a line. Like you said, nothing on this earth is really new anymore. So thinking of the words we've sung, that they have been sung over and over, it's hard to find something new in them.

    But when I think of that line, I try to make it my prayer. And one day, the same song the angels sing, we'll sing it with them. Until then, I keep praying, "Teach me...teach me..."

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete