Monday, October 15, 2012

Sneaky Music Theory

We have struggled to get our six year old interested in playing piano.  The older two love it and even ask for us to find certain songs that they can learn and play in their free time.  My husband (the piano teacher) had enough a couple days ago and vented to me that he didn't know what to do to get the kid learning the notes properly.

I brainstormed and came up with this fun idea which combines snack time with music theory.  At the end of snack time yesterday, the youngest asked, "Can we do this snack again tomorrow?"  Yes, please!

We made up a word list of all the note-names on the piano (A-B-C-D-E-F-G), Then I had the kids spell the words with their snack mix on the music staff...


I told the kids that once they were done, they
could spell any word they wanted and they'd
get as many M&Ms as letters they used.

 B-E-A-D-E-D
 D-E-A-D
A good time was had by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment